FOUNDING OF MISSIONS AND PARISHES FROM 1951
During 1948 the Catholic Church in Manicaland consisted of the Pastoral Area of Umtali Town and five Mission Centres and their Out-stations, namely Triashill, St. Barbara’s, St. Kilian’s, St. Benedict’s and Mount Melleray. During 1950, the ‘Ecclesiastical area’ which became in time ‘The Diocese of Umtali/Mutare’ bordered from the Saint Benedict’s area to the Mpudzi River, 15 miles south of Umtali. As we know, the Trappists (Mariannhill Fathers and Brothers) came to Triashill during 1896 but had to leave due to the rebellion in Makoni and returned during 1908 and finally left during 1929. The Jesuits came during 1929 and left during 1948 and the Carmelites came during 1948 and remain to the present day. The first Carmelites came to Zimbabwe during 1946 and between 1948 and 1950
1951 St. Anne’s Mission, Wengezi — discontinued in 1955.
1952 St. Simon Stock Mission, Rusape.
1953 Avila Mission, Katerere.
1954 The Priory, Mutare.
1955 Regina Coeli Mission, Nyamaropa.
1956 St. Thérèse Mission, Chiduku.
1957 On 1st February the Prefecture of Mutare was raised to the status of a diocese with the Rt Rev. Donal Raymond Lamont O`Carm as first Bishop. He was consecrated on 16th June in Mutare.
1958 Rusape given its first resident priest.
1957 Marymount College, Mutare. (RSHM Sisters). Closed during 1976
1958 The Priory, Hatfield, Harare.
1958 St. Joseph’s Mission, Sakubva, Mutare.
1959 St. Andrew ‘s Mission, Maranke.
1959 St. Columba’s Mission, Honde Valley.
1961 St. Peter’s Mission, Sabi Valley.
1961 St. Charles Lwanga Mission, Chimanimani — including Minor Seminary.
1962 St. Patrick’s Mission, Nyanyadzi.
1964 Carmel College, Mutare — discontinued in 1973.
1964 Kriste Mambo
1969 St. Michael’s Mission, Tanda
1971 The Most Holy Trinity Cathedral. Mutare. 11.07.71
1975 Franciscan Missionary Sisters for Africa came to the Diocese of Mutare.
1975 Saint Martin’s Parish, was administered by the Cathedral Parish up to 1989. The Spiritan
Fathers took over the administration of the Parish to present day.
1977 Father D. A. Clarke, O`Carm., was appointed the Apostolic Administrator of the
Diocese of Umtali when Bishop Lamont was expelled from Rhodesia.
1979 Bishop Patrick Mutume consecrated as Auxiliary Bishop of Umtali on 17/06/79.
1981 Saint Dominic’s Secondary School re-opened
1982 Saint Dominic’s. Diocesan Administration Centre, CADEC, DDP and other Diocesan
departments began co-ordinating the Diocesan apostolate during 1982.
1982 Bishop Alexio Muchabaiwa consecrated Bishop of Mutare on the 21st of February
on the retirement of Bishop Lamont.
1982 The RSHM Sisters came to Dangamvura.
1983 Killaloe Fathers came to the Diocese of Mutare.
1984 Spiritan Fathers and Brothers came to Zimbabwe.
1985 Carmelite Friars began Novitiate at Kriste Mambo
1989 Kiltegan Fathers came to the Diocese of Mutare.
1989 St. James’ Parish. Chipinge was an outstation of St. Charles Lwanga,
Chimanimani up to 1989.
1992 The Diocesan Pastoral Training Centre.commsioned in Mutare.
1992 DOMCCP became functional.
1999 Youth Alive Mutare. Franciscan Missionary Sisters for Africa.
The Franciscan Sisters have continued to the present day to provide various services to
the community in the Diocese of Mutare.
1999 Saint Francis of Assisi Parish Zimunya.
2000 Saint Mary’s High School. Chikanga.
2003 Bishop Lamont died in Ireland on the 14th of August.
2003 Sisters of the Divine Child
2004 Official closure of the Killaloe Mission to Zimbabwe, the 7th of June 2004.
2008 Saint Patrick’s Missionary Society, the Kiltegan Fathers, completed their Mission in the
Diocese of Mutare during
2010 Child protection Act lounged by Bishop A. C Muchabaiwa .
2011 St. Peter’s Mission, Checheche, Chisumbanje, Celebrated Fifty Years
2013 Bethania, outstation of St. Barbara’s mission, celebrated one hundred years on June 29th
2013 September 21st St Benedits Mission celebrated the Centenary of its foundation
2014. St. Patrick’s Nyanyadzi Golden Jubilee of the founding on March 22nd
2014 St. Martin’s Parish, Florida, Mutare, Silver Jubilee of its foundation on August 9th
2014. St. Peter’s Church, Mupururu, Chendambuya, outstation of St. Benedict’s mission
Centenary of foundation on November 1st 2014
2015. St. James’ Parish, Chipinge, celebrated the Golden Jubilee of its foundation on January 24th
2015 Arrival of Carmelite Nuns in the Diocese of Mutare
2016. Father Paul Horan, O. Carm. Bishop-elect, Diocese of Mutare. Anounced on the
28.05.16. The Episcopal Ordination of Bishop Paul Horan on the 27th of August 2016.
2016 Ground breaking ceremony of the construction of the Carmelite Nuns Monastery
2018 Official handover of St Richards Mission Murambinda from the Archdiocese of Harare) to the
Diocese of Mutare on the 3rd of July 2018.
Design by Daniel Njondaya @ Pureplus Solutions 2019